Starting A New Chapter Is Easy
Step 1: Contact CEC
Contact CEC for the chapter organizational kit at 888/232-7733 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Please specify whether you want the kit for a student chapter or professional chapter (their constitutions are different).
Step 2: Contact State CEC Regional Representative
Contact the CEC in your state/province to find out what requirements you’ll need to meet to become officially recognized.
Please note that recognition of your chapter comes from your CEC state/provincial unit – not CEC Headquarters.
CEC state/provincial list.
Student chapters should also check with the student activities office on your campus for information on how to become a recognized organization at your college/university.
Step 3: Schedule Meeting
Schedule a meeting and invite everyone who might be interested! At this meeting, appoint or elect officers, establish committees, and sign up new members.
You’ll need at least 15 members to start your chapter. These can be both new members and transfers from other chapters. For new members, you’ll need to send their membership application and payment to CEC; for members transferring into your chapter, complete the membership transfer form.
Students—Please Note: Not all university students qualify for student membership in CEC. CEC defines a student member as: “…a person enrolled in The Council who is a full-time student during the academic year as defined by an accredited college or university or a person enrolled in The Council who is a part-time student who is not engaged in full-time employment as a certified professional in the field of education.”
Step 4: Submit Materials
A. Complete and submit these materials to your CEC state/provincial unit: (i.e. NYSCEC)
1. Chapter application
If the steps look daunting, don't worry! It's our job to help you. Contact your local NYSCEC Representative and they will be glad to assist.
2. List of officers
3. Constitution and bylaws
4. List of new members submitting membership applications to CEC
5. Photocopy of membership transfer form
B. Submit these materials to CEC:
1. Membership applications and payments from new members
2. Membership transfer form
1. Getting students to join your chapter is an essential step in launching a successful chapter. Take a look at our resources article Getting Students to Join Your Chapter
2. Once members have joined your chapter it is essential they continue to attend chapter meetings and stay involved. For advice on this topic read out resource article, Keeping New Members Engaged